Friday, January 10, 2014

My 2013

This year has been filled with so many awesome memories of seeing God’s hand in my life. He is so faithful! There were so many times that I have been faithless but He remained faithful, understanding, forgiving, gracious, and merciful to me!

I started the year feeling so down. Living in a country where I knew no one except my family. I felt like I was isolated from the rest of the world. I was stuck in my room most of the week just studying for my nursing licensure exam. My world slowed down while the rest of my friends back home went on with their lives. I felt left out and abandoned. And then the Lord blew me away when He brought me to Doulos, the young adults group at church. He opened my eyes to a completely different world that I never knew existed, and yet somehow, it felt like home.

With co-leaders from the Junior High Ministry, looking over Tijuana before we leave Mexico and head back to Vegas.

God made me go through a series of trials that shook my foundations and strengthened my faith. Some of those events included having a helicopter hovering above our house and being on the local news after 3 of our foster kids ran away, failing my first nursing licensure exam, failing my driving test 3 times, crashing my sister’s car, my brother-in-law having a heart attack, being rejected more than 250 times by employers, coming to the end of my strength in the first 4 weeks of orientation at the hospital, going through what I would call “my first heartbreak”, and incurring huge hospital bills for calling 911 because I thought my friend committed suicide. But I didn’t go through them alone. God sent me amazing friends who encouraged, sustained and prayed with me during the numerous times that I was so worn out and just about ready to give up.

Doulos Camping Trip at Zion National Park.

I can't find the words to describe how God used Doulos to impact my life. I like how one of my friends said it, "Doulos is something I never knew I needed 'til I had it." I tried a couple of times to write a blog about Doulos, but I felt that I couldn't justify in words what it's really like to be a part of it. Each individual is so special, with their own unique and beautiful stories of how God turned their life around. I could sit with one person for hours just hearing about God's marvelous deeds and learning from that person's life. I love each and every person in Doulos and we all feel the same way about each other. I don't know if it is the culture, but there were countless times when I found myself dumbfounded at how genuinely caring and loving these people are. Through observing their lives, God gave me a deeper understanding of what true love meant. Sometimes it would make me tear up just thinking to myself, "How can people I just barely met care so much about me?" And thinking about this always reminds me of this scripture,
"A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another. By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another.” John 13:34-45
Doulos 2nd Birthday at Pastor Derek's house. 

This year, I saw myself as a piece of clay being carefully molded in the hands of my Potter. At first, it seemed like nothing beautiful was gonna come out from this one pack of dirt. But as time passed by, I saw His plans slowly taking form in my life. Things started making sense. It was also humbling to witness the many rough edges that needed to be smoothed out in my character.

My first RN job at the hospital really stretched me and changed me beyond what I have foreseen. The first few weeks I found myself crying everyday and wanting to quit. There were so many times that I would come to a patient's room trying to fight my tears and put on a smile. Every single morning, I would be on my knees before the Lord begging for His strength to get me through another day. And every single day, His grace and mercies never failed! What Paul said in 2 Corinthians 12:9-10 has never been more real to me,
"And He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ’s sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong."
Doulos Winter Retreat 2013 in Brianhead, Utah. 

At first, I would complain and ask the Lord to take me out of my miseries. There were times I would pray, "God, I just want to be in the mission field and serve You." But I felt Him clearly speak to my heart, "Adelle, I did not promise you an easy life. But I did promise to be with you. I want you to stay where you are right now. This is your mission field. I am molding and training you to become the person I want you to be. Are you willing to suffer for My name's sake?" This blew me away. He gradually turned my prayers from, "God, please make this day easy for me," to "God, open my eyes to Your divine appointments and give me the strength to go through this day with Your joy in my heart despite of the difficult circumstances." And as God began to change my heart, my eyes were opened to the divine appointments at my work place! There were so many instances when God gave me the opportunities to share the gospel and pray with a patient. Each of those moments were so beautiful and worth every ounce of pain that I went through!

I am sooooo excited for what God has in store for me this 2014! I know that there will be rough roads. But I have seen His provision and I have nothing but faith in my heart that I will overcome this year through His grace and mercy. I serve a faithful God and a loving Father!

Bring it on 2014!

Last night with our brother J before he flew to Mexico for a two-month mission internship. 

No comments:

Post a Comment