Monday, January 12, 2015

My 2014 in Hindsight

Ahh... So it's 2015. Wow. That was it. That was 2014. It was a spectacular year to say the least. My... where to begin?

Travels. Yes. It was a year of unplanned, spur-of-the-moment kind of travels. Which reminds me that I should really try to redo my blogsite and work on that long-overdue "Adventures" tab on my homepage. I think I'm falling in love with travelling and learning history, and exchanging smiles with unfamiliar faces. And drinking coffee at some local coffee shop and talking to God about the many things I am grateful for... on top of them, the gift of coffee.

Doulos Winter Retreat in Utah in January/February 2014
California beach getaway with Doulos for the spring.
Fourth of July in Seattle with family.
Doulos helping out at Operation Blessing in Portsmouth, New Hampshire.
At the back is a lighthouse in Maine.
Dinner with friends in downtown Portsmouth.
Red Sox game in Boston, with Doulos.
Day trip to NYC with Doulos.
Selfie at the White House in DC with some good friends.
Washington DC

In Pennsylvania for the Lange's wedding.
Finding inspiration at Yale University in Hartford.
Stalking T. Swift's house in Rhode Island.

Visiting Harriet Beecher-Stowe and Mark Twain's houses in Hartford.

Grand Central Terminal, NY Public Library, and Liberty Island.
New York City was as rich, vibrant and beautiful as they said it was.
Harvard University. 
MIT. Land of the geeks. lol

Boston never fails to inspires me. There's so much history in this place.

At the beginning of 2014... I was in the midst of finishing my three-month probation at my first "real" nursing job. My first REAL nursing job! I'm finally hanging real IV medications and sticking needles on people! Okay. You know I'm just kidding, right? I know it's not fun for my patients, believe me, it breaks my heart more than you know. One full year of nursing and caring for the sick has taught me lessons that I will probably cherish for the rest of my life. And just before the year ended, after more than 250 applications and countless discouraging rejection emails, I finally got hired at a medical/surgical unit! Thank You Lord!

This year has been kind of a mix between rocky and dull when it comes to my relationship with God. I've had better years. But I'd say, this year was probably one of the most humbling. After 10 years of being a Christian, things kind of started to feel a little dry. You know, when you first begin following Him, there's kind of that "honeymoon" stage where you're so in love with Him and it's like you're walking on the clouds. It wasn't a question of whether or not following Him was the best decision I ever made in my entire life. But it was more of trying to recall what made me fall in love with Him in the first place. Once I started forgetting that He is the source of my joy and my strength, I began to look for other sources to satisfy my soul. And we all know how that goes. But a couple of hours before 2014 ended, on December 31st during a Wednesday night church service, after ignoring symptoms of supraventricular tachycardia, cold and clammy skin, and mild anxiety (which I think are the classic clinical signs and symptoms of "Hey, God's calling you!"), on the third and final altar call, I couldn't fight it any longer so I finally caved in. I went forward and humbled myself, sought forgiveness and recommitted my life to the Lord. It felt like a huge weight was lifted off my chest. I was liberated. I can never thank Him enough for all His goodness towards me.

This morning, as I was driving to work, I played an old playlist on my itunes and I came across this song. Which I think perfectly described how my 2014 went. The song is called, "Daughter of Grace." I hope you enjoy the song and that it reminds you as well of a loving God who desires to clothe us in His mercy and grace.


Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you in due time, casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you. 1 Peter 5:6-7


How was your 2014? :)



No comments:

Post a Comment