Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Invest in Eternity

"Only one life, 'twill soon be past,
Only what's done for Christ will last."
~ C. T. Studd

I met someone yesterday. We graduated from the same college. I was a year ahead of her. She's a really awesome person - very respectful, smart, enthusiastic, passionate, and hard-working. She works two full-time jobs as an RN. And at 21 years of age, she is already investing on her own house. She reminded me of someone -- the old "Adelle" -- full of dreams, ambitious, and driven. As we kept talking, I started to envy her in my heart, "I wish I can be like her. I wish I can just pursue all my dreams and not mind about missing out on all the mission trips and ministry opportunities." But I know that that's not what God wants me to do anymore. That's the old me, trying to take charge again.

After graduating from college, I started wondering about my future. I began forming in my mind, dreams of what I want to become, the career path that I want to take, what I want to accomplish, and the things I want to do in my lifetime. Of course, being a Christian, God had to be in the picture. I thought about so many different things: pursuing medicine to become a surgeon after I finish nursing, investing in stocks, putting up a business, or investing in realty. My ultimate goal was to retire early, have enough resources to fund myself to do medical missions, and proclaim the gospel wherever it has not been preached. At that time, I was waiting for my US petition to get approved. I thought to myself excitedly, "That sounds like a great plan! While waiting for my VISA, I'll study medicine and then move to the US. I'll be earning more and will get to accomplish my goals faster!" In my perspective, everything just seemed so well-written, perfectly sound and in line with God's heart.

One ordinary day, after more than a year of thinking about all my dreams, researching about the different ways I can achieve them, and planning the future, God began to speak to me. "What if I don't want you to become a doctor? What if I want you to serve Me in a different way? What if I ask you to give up your dreams and plans? Are you willing to give them to me?" This blew my mind away! The reality of eternity weighed heavily on my heart as I realized, "I have so many things I want to do in this lifetime, but I have only one life to live. And how I live it, will determine my place in eternity." Deep in my heart, all I wanted was to serve Jesus with my life and my gifts, but I forgot that the God's ways are higher than our ways. The world looks at wealth, accomplishments, and a successful career as measurements of a well-lived life. But the Lord desires our obedience and our intimacy with Him.

During that time, I kept a little journal where I wrote down all the plans and dreams that came to my mind. On that day, as I was holding it in my hands, praying, and struggling to lay everything down before God all my self-constructed and fleshly ideas of my future, He gave me this song:


"Let it All Go"

Verse 1:
I took out my precious little journal
Where I've written all my plans and dreams
I said, I don't need them anymore
Cause I know You've got it all planned out
And we both know, You write
Way better than I do

Chorus:
Oh, I'm not afraid to let it all go
Cause I know my future is secured
And I am not afraid to jump off the cliff
I'll trust Your words
I'll throw my hands in the air
I surrender all
I surrender all

Verse 2:
Many times I get knocked down
They laugh and say, I'm a fool to believe
But oh, I'll just get up and climb again
Though they think I've got it all wrong now
But I believe what You said
So I won't give up now


Sometimes I would still feel jealous of people who are pursuing their dreams or living the "good life." But every time I think about heaven, and Jesus and His love, all my doubts, fears, and regrets fade away. Investing in eternity is far more profitable than investing in this life. Everything on earth is temporary, and Jesus is far more worthy than anything this world can ever offer. One day, when we see Jesus face to face, everything will make sense. He is worthy!

No comments:

Post a Comment