Saturday, June 27, 2009

Shalom Duty Day 1

Shift: 10:00PM - 6:00AM
Date: June 26, 2009

What do we usually expect on a first day? Orientation and observation. But my first day experience at Shalom Birthing Home is quite deviated from the norms. To my surprise, we were already allowed to do hands on!

There were two mothers laboring when we arrived at the place around 10:00 PM of June 25th. We are five in the group but only three of us first helped out – Hannah, Madz, and myself. In no less than 3 hours, we found ourselves inside the curtains, with gloves on, and waiting for the baby to come out. In about 30 minutes, we heard the first cry of the baby. And it served as my wake up call.

During that time, my mind became occupied with thoughts of the procedure and it seemed like for a short while, my emotions shut off. It was the miracle of life I just witnessed! And yet it came to me as something plain and routinary. I didn’t feel the glory of the moment.

I know it’s just appropriate that I should be alert and observant with the procedures but I didn’t think it was right that my heart should grow cold for a moment as that. I’ve always wanted that my very first experience would be more majestic and more realistic than what I see on films. But things didn’t go as perfect as how I perceived.

Although it’s a bit sad that I wasn’t able to show my appreciation to God’s miracle during that time, I sure learned one very valuable lesson. In nursing, people will always come and go in our workplaces. And sometimes, the routinary life can wear us out. But each time people come up to us, we will always be bound with two choices on how we look at them. We can either see them as medical cases demanding attention, or see them as unique individuals needing care. The ultimate calling of a nurse is to care for people, not for cases.

I wanted to make up with the mother and the family for my lack. So before leaving the place that morning, out from the bottom of my heart, I congratulated the mother for giving birth to a wonderful baby boy. I will never forget the family and the name of their first baby, “Yhury Zanjho Apad” – they were very first people I have CARED FOR as a nursing student.


"I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh."
Ezekiel 36:26 (NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment